Friday, December 16, 2011

Thirumoolar’s Siva Yoga




Many people wrote in the comments as well as in emails that they were looking for experiences similar to what I described in this article. I am compelled to post this update after I read Mr. Rajendrakumar’s unfortunate personal experience (see comments section) from practicing the mantra on this page without proper guidance. This article was written with the intention of sharing my experience only, but it was never my intention that it would be taken as a technique (I never gave the steps of using the mantra in this page). I did not write this article lightly. I deliberated putting this on my site for more than three months and put it up only after inner push. Also, note that this experience was more than couple of years old from the date of publication of this article. My only intention in writing this article was to express that the Siddhars are available on the inner planes if we need help. If you really want the proper technique of chanting the mantra, you need to go to http://www.SivaYoga.com/ and get it from them.


One size does not fit all. Not all techniques are for everybody. If you really want, try a technique for short periods of time (like, 5 minutes per day) for about three days. If the technique is not pleasant and give you joy, but causes distress, then the technique is not for you.

Please also note that if you are chanting mantra or doing a technique with an intention of having a particular spiritual experience, then that desire may be coming from ego which could cause physical and mental distress. You need to approach any technique with humility and surrender to the divine and let the divine give you whatever experience you need to grow.

Bhakthi or Surrender to the Divine is important. May be your first practice should be just that — Surrender to your favorite form of the divine. If you need to do a specific technique, you will be guided to it and you will not feel the conflicts created by ego at that point. This was the case with me.

Listen to your inner longing (this is not the ego’s desire to have an experience and feel good). Just because someone else is doing it or someone had some experience and you want to reproduce that experience, is the wrong approach. Having spiritual experiences is not the goal. Experiences occur on their own accord depending on what each person needs to learn and gain wisdom. You can derive inspiration from others experiences, but not try to replicate them.

Develop Self-love and Self-acceptance. When you develop these two, things will appear to you as needed for your evolution and you will not face any issues with your practice. With Self-love and Self-acceptance, you will also gain the wisdom of love and acceptance for others.

Be gentle with yourself. Treat your body/mind temple as you would treat a temple you visit — with love and devotion. If you are feeling uncomfortable and sick, then body is telling you to just stop. No guilt needed. Just stop.

In February 2005, I took initiation into Level-1 of Babaji’s Kriya Yoga and in April 2005, into Level-2. In Level-2, we were given a list of names of siddhas (meaning, “perfected beings”) and deities—all are infinite intelligences—and we were told the qualities of each intelligence. We were asked to choose based on what resonated with us and what qualities we wanted to invoke within ourselves, at that time. We got initiated into one mantra of our choice from that list. When they described the list, one of the descriptions was about siddhar tirumUlar (from now on I will use the more popular spelling and form, “Thirumoolar”). However, I did not take that mantra at that time, instead I got attracted to the mantra of Lord Muruga (also known as, skanda, kArtikEya, kumara, sanat kumara and subramanya). He is also known as, “The Lord of Siddhas.”




Few months passed. Around early June 2005, I happened to be at my friend’s (he is also my music teacher) place, as he was giving a lecture-demonstration on Ayurvedic cooking. (yummy!) When we were all eating, he started talking to somebody and I happened to be nearby. I overheard him talk about how he got a message from Thirumoolar to do an internet search for a certain, “51 syllable Siva mantra,” so he can practice and teach to his music students. He had not started to teach that mantra, yet. This time, I strangely got attracted to the name “Siddhar Thirumoolar.” But, I did not ask about it. I felt, if I needed it, I would surely get it somehow. After that I forgot about it completely.

A couple of days later, I started to get this urge to find this mantra. I thought that I was just making it up. So, I ignored it. I kept getting this thought constantly. One week passed. I was just seeing, if that was just a random thought and would pass. But, it was not, and I could not resist it any longer. So, I googled, the terms, “51 syllable Siva mantra Thirumoolar.” The first site that popped up was, Thirumoolar’s Siva Yoga site. Here, I found the following mantra (also available in Tirumandiram (Vol 2, Verse 946)):
Om
Si va ya na ma
ya na va Si ma
ma va ya na Si
Si ya na ma va
va Si ma ya na
Om


Source : http://www.desikanadadur.com/blog/2008/01/18/how-i-contacted-siddhar-thirumoolar/

No comments:

Post a Comment